Roman City Walls (1st Century)
Military fortification erected by the Roman Empire, declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument on 3 June 1931.
The importance of the city in Roman times is reflected in its defensive military fortification erected during the Early Roman Empire (1st century). Its layout is the shape of an irregular trapezoid featuring solid walls of granite ashlar masonry, completed with the traditional pattern of stretcher and header bond on their faces and the internal reinforcement with a 3-metres-thick layer of concrete. These walls are defended by twenty-three robust square or cube-shaped towers, each located about 20 or 30 metres apart, surrounding its total perimeter of 1,065 metres. The imposing fortification extends across six hectares of land, as the walls adapt to the uneven terrain with their width occasionally exceeding 4 metres and their height ranging between 10 and 14 metres.