Church of St. James The Apostle (16th-18th Century)
The memory of Santiago—or Saint James—in the religious Gothic-Renaissance architecture in the City of Coria.
The Gothic-Renaissance Church of St. James the Apostle (Iglesia de Santiago Apóstol) converted into the second parish church inside the city walls, probably originated after the control of Coria was handed over to the Santiago de Compostela Church by King Ferdinand II of León (1157-1188), in 1162. Inside, it has a rectangular floor plan with a single nave covered with a half-barrel vault with lunettes from the 17th century and a simple rib vault covering the main chapel of the 16th century. This side of the wall of the Epistle leads to the sacristy, the 16th-century chapel dedicated to the Christ of Calvary (Cristo del Humilladero) or Christ of the Afflicted (Cristo de los Afligidos), and an entrance with a Gothic pointed arch, the baptistery and a choir-tribune.