Old Town Hall (15th-20th Century)
From the old municipal administrative service to the harmonious magnetism of the musical chords.
The city’s old Town Hall (Ayuntamiento Viejo) was constructed in 1479 and has been restored over the different periods of Coria’s history (1595, 1684, 1836, 1877 and 1939). As described in the mid- 18th-century Cadastre of Ensenada, to its right was the Ossuary of the Parish Church of St. James (Osario de la Parroquia de Santiago) and to its left was the narrow street known as Calle de las Monjas that separated it from the old Royal Prison. It was used as the centre of civil and administrative government until 1981.
Today, the building has been restored and refurbished to house the new Municipal School of Music (Escuela Municipal de Música). To replicate its appearance of 1877, several elements have been recovered, including the doorway on the ground floor that is composed of three simple monolithic columns along with two solid granite pillars at the corners that support four grand semi-circular arches. The first floor comprises three corridors with balconies, while an extensive terrace completes the edifice.