Foundation of Coria’s Royal Prison
This Baroque-style civilian prison was built by the architect Alonso Hernández de Garrovillas with the funds of the City and its districts in 1686, according to the inscription carved in stone and placed on the granite lintel doorway. It makes reference to the process and the people responsible for its construction on either side of the coat of arms of the City of Coria: “This work was carried out with magistrate Juan Ramón de Guzmán, and commissioners Juan Navarro and José de Almaraz, Councillors of this City. At the expense of City and Land. Year 1686”. On the other hand, adorning the upper part of the building is the heraldic shield of the Dukes of Alba, Lords of Coria, as the highest authority and general administrators of the municipal law.