Convent of St. Francis(16th-19th Century)
The archaeological site of the ancient vestiges of the calm Franciscan monastic silence in the City of Coria.
A construction carried out by Fernando Álvarez de Toledo (1507-1582), Duke of Alba, in 1561, at the request of Bishop Diego Enríquez de Almansa, the then prelate of the Diocese of Coria (1550-1565), it was taken as part of the Spanish Confiscation in the mid-19th century and its ruins are still preserved.
This monastic building is known to have been located close to the existing aqueduct, possibly Roman, whose appearance must have been considerably altered by the reconstructions carried out over the course of history, as confirmed by Antonio Ponz in his famous work “Viage de España” (Journey around Spain). The water supply, which was in use until the 19th century with the subsequent abandonment of the channel, began its course to the northwest of the city centre in the natural site known as “La Madre del Agua”—or the Mother of Water. This natural spring, due to its proximity to the town, could well have been used to supply water to the ancient Roman Caurium. From here, it continued its journey bordering the Convent of St. Francis (Convento de San Francisco) and the northern part of the City Walls, reaching close to the Puerta de San Pedro (St. Peter’s Gate), supplying water to the fountains located in the San Francisco suburb and the Plaza Mayor, the city’s main square.