Conciliar College-Seminary (17th-19th Century)
Former residence for the education of seminarians in the City of Coria.
Popularly known as the “Old” Seminary, it was founded by Jerónimo Ruiz de Camargo (1622-1631), the Bishop of the Diocese of Coria, in 1630, as revealed by the inscription and the prelate’s noble coat of arms, both sculpted in stone and adorning the façade of the main entrance. These were restored from the remains of the old Casa de Obispo—or Bishop’s House— which is located here since the late 16th century. It was reformed after 1819 when the College-Seminary (Colegio-Seminario Conciliar) was transferred to the City of Coria by the distinguished prelate Blas Jacobo Beltrán (1815-1821). In the following years, it went through some expansions, until its definitive remodelling was carried out between 1830 and 1845.
The ground floor housed the chapel crowned by its bell gable (1819-1830), the entrance, the stairs (1820), the cloister (1819-1823) and the side patio (1845) with the kitchen, the basements and the refectory, in addition to the east corridor (1819-1830) and the south corridor (1822-1845), as well as the departments of grammar, philosophy and theology. On the other hand, the first floor was composed of the quarters of the professors, the rector, the vice-rector, the choir of the chapel and the vaulted library adjoining the terrace, while the student quarters and study areas were found on the second floor.