With the Muslim invasion and subsequent occupation of Hispania (711), the new Madinat Qüriya (714) became a very important strategic location for border defence sought after by the Christians as well as the Muslims during the Reconquest, until it was finally taken by King Alfonso IX of León (1188-1230). In the years that ensued, with the repopulation of the city, it was granted the municipal charter around 1227, which would regulate community life between Christians, Arabs and Jews.
The 14th century ushered in a series of political and social conflicts for the Crown of Castile due to the centralising efforts of the monarchy in the face of the nobility’s growing inclination to expand their territorial possessions. As a consequence, the city lost its royal status and became the county seat that was later put through sale by the Duchy of Alba in 1472. At that point, it was also endowed with the title of the Marquisate of Coria.