Puerta del Carmen (16th Century)
Eastern Gate of the Roman City Walls, declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument on 3 June 1931.
The Puerta del Carmen (E)—or the Gate of Carmen—was also known as Puerta Nueva, or New Gate, in the other periods of history, as its layout was designed in the Early Modern period (16th century). It was possibly opened or modified as a result of the need to connect with the old suburb of Carmen, which was home to the now-defunct Chapel of Our Lady of Carmen (Ermita de Nuestra Señora del Carmen), that lent its name to the suburb and this gate.
Its structure was derived by cutting out the ashlars of the City Walls and is undoubtedly the most modest of all four gates, with simple chamfered and semi-circular arches. This entrance is covered inside with a barrel vault plastered with lime mortar.