Puerta de San Francisco (16th Century)
North-western Gate of the Roman Walls, declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument on 3 June 1931.
The Puerta de San Francisco (NW)—or St. Francis’s Gate—owes its name to the fact that it served as a passageway to the Discalced Franciscan Convent (Convento de Franciscanos Descalzos) located outside the defensive walls. It is also known as Puerta de la Cava (or excavation), due to its contiguity to the Castle’s moat, or Puerta del Rollo, due to its proximity to the square of the same name, where this symbol of jurisdiction and execution was located. It was created in the 16th century in place of an existing aperture on this side of the City Walls.