Puerta de La Guía (1st century)

South-western Gate of the Roman City Walls, declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument on 3 June 1931.

The Puerta de la Guía (SW)—or Gate of Guidance—also known in the past as Puerta de la Ciudad, Puerta de la Villa, Puerta de la Escalerilla, Puerta de la Estrella or Puerta de las Cuatro Calles, still preserves its original Roman construction and layout, just like the Puerta de San Pedro.

Its structure is composed of an entrance flanked by a tower on each side and a semi-circular double arch covered with a groin vault made of brick. On the outside, it reveals the alterations that were introduced in the 16th century: a small vault-niche that shelters the entire entrance gate, another small shell niche that is adorned by a stone sculpture of Our Lady of Guidance (Nuestra Señora de la Guía), which is where this gate derives its name from. Under the pedestal of this statue appears the chequered coat of arms of the Dukes of Alba and Marquises of Coria, framed by slender columns.



Index card

Location: Historic centre
Address: Calle del Horno, 2
Municipality: 10800 Coria (Cáceres)
Silueta Ciudad de Coria