Castle of the Dukes of Alba (15th Century)
Symbol of aristocratic power and domination in the City of Coria, declared Cultural Heritage of Spain, in the Monument category, on 21 June 1988.
The “Castillo” —or Castle of Coria—is the first surviving testimony of the aristocratic domination in the city, its elegant “Torre del Homenaje”—or Keep—was constructed by architect Juan Carrera, between 1473 and 1478, by order of García Álvarez de Toledo (died 1488), Duke of Alba and first Marquis of Coria. Located to the northwest of the Roman City Walls, this work of military engineering was constructed in place of another fortification occupied by the Knights Templar in the 12th century. It has an irregular pentagon layout, like a starling, which projects from the walled enclosure and was built with fine masonry of perfectly dressed and squared granite ashlars.
The Keep is completed by what is popularly known as “Castillejo”: a small crenellated structure within the city walls that is equipped with a bent entrance and a drawbridge. It was defended through a circular casemate tower and an extensive moat constructed by Tomás Bretón in 1473, which is partially visible today. Crowning the entire fortified complex is the continuous band of the cornice of balls or knobs placed in the blind arches over the corbels surrounding the entire perimeter of the battlements in the Late-Gothic or Elizabethan style.