Grain Exchange (16th-20th Century)
From an old grain warehouse to a modern refuge for the reading enthusiasts in the City of Coria.
This Muslim grain warehouse building, known as “Alhóndiga”, documented as early as the 16th century, was part of the municipal resources and served as a depository and a grain exchange. Since then, there has been a constant account of its organisation and services along with the old Town Hall to its right and the Church of St. James on the opposite side. In the mid-18th century, a 15-yards-long by 13-yards-wide expanse was attributed to it, as described in the Cadastre of Ensenada, in addition to two stories in height, which can be observed in the Visit of the Royal Audience of Extremadura of 1791.
This property, thanks to its impressive layout, was sometimes used as a Town Hall, owing to the poor condition of the main building, and sometimes as a venue for public events for entertainment, as well as a municipal education centre for adults. It has undergone a total transformation over the years, however, you can still observe some vestiges of the architectural and heraldic elements of the old façade, as well as two vaulted halls and a beautiful cistern. Today, it is the Municipal Public Library dedicated to the writer Rafael Sánchez Ferlosio representing his deep connection with the City of Coria.