Hospital of St. Nicholas of Bari (16th-19th Century)
Ancient healing and spiritual retreat, currently dedicated to rest and care of the elderly.
One of the city’s three Hospitals, it was founded by Cardinal Íñigo López de Mendoza in 1535, according to a testamentary undertaking, as corroborated by the inscription and the coat of arms of this illustrious Bishop-elect of the Diocese of Coria (1523-1528) placed just above the main façade. The Hospital of St. Nicholas of Bari (Hospital de San Nicolás de Bari) is located outside the City Walls and was dedicated to helping the poor and the pilgrims. Its doorway features a semi-circular entrance arch formed by thick stone voussoirs and is outlined by a frame, as the panel of a Moorish arch, made of two Tuscan columns with ribbed shafts and a lintel finished with cyma.